October 7, 2010

Forget-Me-Nots: Pippi Longstocking

This is a feature on my blog for highlighting books I enjoyed in childhood and the teenage years that I don't see getting much attention nowadays.


This week: Pippi Longstocking by Astrid Lindgren


Amazon.com review:

"Pippi is an irrepressible, irreverent, and irrefutably delightful girl who lives alone (with a monkey) in her wacky house, Villa Villekulla. When she's not dancing with the burglars who were just trying to rob her house, she's attempting to learn the "pluttification" tables at school; fighting Adolf, the strongest man in the world at the circus; or playing tag with police officers.

Pippi's high-spirited, good-natured hijinks cause as much trouble as fun, but a more generous child you won't find anywhere. Astrid Lindgren has created a unique and lovable character, inspiring generations of children to want to be Pippi. More than anything, Pippi makes reading a pleasure; no child will welcome the end of the book, and many will return to Pippi Longstocking again and again. Simply put, Pippi is irresistible."


All right, who here remembers Pippi Longstocking? She rocked! I loved this book when I was younger - so much so that I made a Pippi Longstocking mask at art camp and dressed up as Pippi Longstocking (complete with stuffed monkey) one Halloween. I especially loved the scene where she attends school and gives hilarious answers to all the math questions the teacher asks (I was never big on math). Also the part with the police officer chase always made me laugh!

I don't believe I ever read the third, Pippi Goes On Board...I should look it up!



5 comments:

  1. I read these when I was a kid, too. And saw the badly dubbed Swedish movies. Ahh... good times.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pippi is the best!! I think it's time I read those books again :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness! I wanted to BE Pippi! I loved these books so much! Sigh. This brings back so many great memories!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've read all three! I loved them! Plus they were one of the few books in our school library I could always get. In Dutch her house is called Villa Kakelbont, but I think it's different everywhere. So many people here still dress up as Pippi for carnaval (a bit like Halloween, but lasts 5 days), I never did, but maybe I will this year :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Pippi Longstocking, I read all of her books when I was younger. She is a really memorable character!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments, so post away!

Related Posts with Thumbnails