October 13, 2010

Waiting on Wednesday: A Most Improper Magick and Plain Kate

Waiting on Wednesday is hosted by Jill at Breaking the Spine and features books that we just can't wait to get our hands on!

The picks this week:

A Most Improper Magick (aka. Kat, Incorrigible) by Stephanie Burgis


Goodreads' description:

"I was twelve years of age when I chopped off my hair, dressed as a boy, and set off to save my family from impending ruin.

"I made it almost to the end of my front garden..."

Magic may be the greatest scandal in Regency England. But that's not going to stop Kat Stephenson when there are highwaymen to foil, sinister aristocrats to defeat...and true loves to capture for her two older sisters.


I have heard nothing but good things about this book. I absolutely *love* the Regency England setting and the story sounds cute! Plus, it's going to be a trilogy from what I understand. Awesome! It's already out in the UK but have to wait until next year for the US/Canada release.
 
And the trailer makes me smile:




 

Plain Kate (aka Wood Angel) by Erin Bow

Goodreads' description:

"Plain Kate lives in a world of superstitions and curses, where a song can heal a wound and a shadow can work deep magic. As the wood-carver's daughter, Kate held a carving knife before a spoon, and her wooden talismans are so fine that some even call her “witch-blade”: a dangerous nickname in a country where witches are hunted and burned in the square.

For Kate and her village have fallen on hard times. Kate’s father has died, leaving her alone in the world. And a mysterious fog now covers the countryside, ruining crops and spreading fear of hunger and sickness. The townspeople are looking for someone to blame, and their eyes have fallen on Kate.

Enter Linay, a stranger with a proposition: In exchange for her shadow, he’ll give Kate the means to escape the angry town, and what’s more, he’ll grant her heart’s wish. It’s a chance for her to start over, to find a home, a family, a place to belong. But Kate soon realizes she can't live shadowless forever -- and that Linay's designs are darker than she ever dreamed."



This one's already released and should be arriving in my mailbox sometime in the near future! I'm excited to read it. I've read some absolutely phenomenal reviews and it sounds so darkly alluring! Also the villain is supposedly complex and mysterious, and I love the 'sell-your-shadow' premise.

And isn't the trailer so simple and beautiful, and yet eerie...





What books are you waiting on?

6 comments:

  1. You have some great reviews here! Glad I stopped by. I'm a follower.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great picks! I think A Most Improper Magick sounds like such a cute and fun read! I'm really intrigued by Plain Kate too! The atmosphere really reminds me of The Hunger Games.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice picks, A Most Improper Magick is on my wishlist.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like this cover for A Most Improper Magick, and Plain Kate sounds really interesting. Great picks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I CAN't WAIT for A Most Improper Magic - It looks awesome :)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments, so post away!

Related Posts with Thumbnails