February 2, 2011

Waiting on Wednesday: The Goddess Test and Sirenz

Waiting on Wednesday is hosted by Jill at Breaking the Spine and features books that we just can't wait to get our hands on!

This week's picks have a theme I've been noticing in YA for this year: Hades and the Underworld.

The Goddess Test by Aimee Carter

"It's always been just Kate and her mom--and now her mother is dying. Her last wish? To move back to her childhood home. So Kate's going to start at a new school with no friends, no other family and the fear her mother won't live past the fall.

Then she meets Henry. Dark. Tortured. And mesmerizing. He claims to be Hades, god of the Underworld--and if she accepts his bargain, he'll keep her mother alive while Kate tries to pass seven tests.

Kate is sure he's crazy--until she sees him bring a girl back from the dead. Now saving her mother seems crazily possible. If she succeeds, she'll become Henry's future bride, and a goddess.

If she fails..."


Very pretty cover (sorry, I couldn't find a larger image), and I like the stakes of involving her dying mother and seven tests. Looks pretty dramatic!

Sirenz by Charlotte Bennardo and Natalie Zaman


"Bickering frenemies Meg and Shar are doing some serious damage at a midnight sample sale when they find themselves arguing over a pair of shoes—with fatal consequences. One innocent bystander later, the girls are suddenly at the mercy of Hades—the god of the underworld—himself. To make them atone for what they’ve done, Hades forces the teens to become special-assignment Sirens, luring to the Underworld any individual whose unholy contract is up.

But just because they have an otherworldly part-time job now doesn’t mean Meg and Shar can ignore life’s drudgeries (work) or pleasures (fashion!). Finding that delicate balance between their old and new responsibilities turns out to be harder than they expected, especially when an entire pantheon of Greek deities decides to get involved. Then there’s the matter of the fine print in their contracts . . ."

 
This one has a much lighter, fluffier feel to it, both in cover and in the voice. And I'm wanting to know about that fine print...

What books are you waiting on?


13 comments:

  1. I *just* saw people mentioning The Goddess Test a few days ago and it immediately went up on my list. This is the first time I've seen Sirenz and it sounds great too! I'm loving this Greek mythology stuff. Great picks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Goddess Test sounds awesome! Adding it to my TBR list :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're right, there's a definite Hades trend this year (Meg Cabot's new book, too). I'm not complaining though. I'm looking forward to some Hades action. He seems like the ultimate cute bad boy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. @smallreview Agreed. :D

    Great picks! I've heard of Sirenz before, but I didn't take the time to read the summary. The cover caught my interest, but I didn't bother to find out what it's about. Now, that I know, I'm actually excited for.

    But, the best pick was The Goddess Test. Oh man, does that not sound freakin' awesome/amazing/incredible? It feels like an intense read, and definitely dramatic. *crosses fingers* I hope it's good and now I'm dying to get my hands on it!

    Thanks for sharing!

    Asher K. (Paranormal Indulgence)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am DYING to read The Goddess Test. The premise and cover just kill me! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome picks Danya!! I'm really excited for The Goddess Test.. it sounds amazingly good! And Sirenz sounds awesome too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really want to read both of these books - they have Greek Mythology and I love it.

    Our WOW

    ReplyDelete
  8. We picked the same WoW this week which is super fun. The Goddess Test just looks amazing. I can't say how much I'm looking forward to it and Sirenz looks super fun too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love Greek mythology so I already have both on my wishlist and am super excited about them :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, this is the first I've heard of the Goddess Test...it looks amazing! Have to add it to my wishlist!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm liking the sound of The Goddess Test. The cover is really pretty! Thanks for putting that one on my radar!

    By the way, I just found your blog and I'm now following! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh both are fabulous picks! I love the sound of Henry from The Goddess Test, I'm a sucker for the damaged and tortured characters. I love Greek mythology so much, I can't wait for both of these!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks so much for all the kind words about Sirenz, and for WoW-ing it :) We hope you like it! xxxxNat

    ReplyDelete

I love comments, so post away!

Related Posts with Thumbnails