May 11, 2011

Waiting on Wednesday: Lie and Touch of Frost

Waiting on Wednesday is hosted by Jill at Breaking the Spine and features books that we just can't wait to get our hands on!

This week's picks:

Lie by Caroline Bock


Goodreads' description:


"A gripping and incredibly important story about a tight-knit town torn apart by a vicious hate crime. 

Everybody knows, nobody’s talking… Seventeen year-old Skylar Thompson is being questioned by the police.  Her boyfriend Jimmy stands accused of brutally assaulting two young El Salvadoran immigrants from a neighboring town, and she's the prime witness.  Skylar is keeping quiet about what she's seen, but how long can she keep it up?  Jimmy was her savior.  When her mother died, he was the only person who made her feel safe, protected from the world.  But when she begins to appreciate the enormity of what has happened, especially when Carlos Cortez, the victim's brother, steps up to demand justice, she starts to have second thoughts about protecting him.  Jimmy's accomplice, Sean, is facing his own moral quandary. He's out on bail and has been offered a plea in exchange for testifying against Jimmy.  Sean must decide whether or not to turn on his friend in order to save himself.  But most importantly, both must figure out why they followed someone like Jimmy—someone who bullied people and advocated violence against others—in the first place."   

This one sounds really intense, with some major morality issues and complex characters. The cover is simple but I think it works to convey the dark tone, and the font is eye-catching.

And now for something completely different...

Touch of Frost by Jennifer Estep


Goodreads' description:

"My name is Gwen Frost, and I go to Mythos Acad­emy — a school of myths, magic and war­rior whiz kids, where even the lowli­est geek knows how to chop off somebody’s head with a sword and Logan Quinn, the hottest Spar­tan guy in school, also hap­pens to be the deadliest.

But lately, things have been weird, even for Mythos. First, mean girl Jas­mine Ash­ton was mur­dered in the Library of Antiq­ui­ties. Then, some­one stole the Bowl of Tears, a mag­i­cal arti­fact that can be used to bring about the sec­ond Chaos War. You know, death, destruc­tion and lots of other bad, bad things. Freaky stuff like this goes on all the time at Mythos, but I’m deter­mined to find out who killed Jas­mine and why – espe­cially since I should have been the one who died..."


This one sounds kind of like a cross between Hex Hall and The Grimm Legacy! Murder, magical artifacts, hot Spartan guys...how can you go wrong? Love that the "t" in Frost is made with a sword :D


What books are you waiting on?
 

8 comments:

  1. Whoa, you're absolutely right! Lie does sounds pretty intense for a contemp novel. Touch of Frost doesn't exactly seem like anything brand new but it should be still a fun paranormal read! Nice WoW picks Danya! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Touch of Frost sounds cool! And I love the sword thing too.
    http://alternatereadality.blogspot.com/2011/05/waiting-on-wednesdays.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Both look good but I'm a paranormal fan so Touch of Frost would be my top pick!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just read the first two chapters of Touch of Frost and I'm hooked! "Murder, magical artifacts, hot Spartan guys...how can you go wrong?" I don't see how you can go wrong with that! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. These sound so great. I am loving the first one- it sounds very intense, totally something I would want to read. Thanks for letting me know. Here's my WoW:
    http://thebucketlist-gn.blogspot.com/2011/05/waiting-on-wednesday-shatter-me.html
    happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These both sound incredible. I love books that touch on social issues, and Magic schools? YES please! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lie does sound really interesting- great choice!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You had me at "hot Spartan guys" haha. I can't wait to get my hands on Touch of Frost. Any kind of paranormal book set at an academy/boarding school and I'm all over it (thank you, Hogwarts!). The plot sounds awesome! As does Lie, I'm really intrigued by this one - an intense and heavy read. Great picks!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments, so post away!

Related Posts with Thumbnails