July 17, 2017

My Life Next Door: A Rambling Review

My Life Next Door by Huntley Fitzpatrick

12294652This contemporary YA novel has gotten quite a bit of hype and I know a lot of people loved it, but unfortunately I didn't fall head-over-heels for it. I mostly liked the main character Samantha, whose voice was relatable and felt realistic as a teen's. Jase, on the other hand, while sweet and rather mature for a teenage guy, seemed a little too perfect; he never made mistakes and always appeared to know best, and it came off as a bit holier-than-thou at times (especially when all the other teens were making mistakes left, right, and center). I did enjoy the general dynamic of the Garrett family and the contrast to Samantha's, and found it interesting how entrenched she becomes in their life, which is unusual to see in a YA novel.

I felt kind of like this novel was split into 2 different parts: the lighter, bubblier, falling-in-love section that spans the first two-thirds of the story, and then the darker, heavier, angstier section of the last third. It was a little strange to suddenly have the story change direction and tone, and become much more serious. I thought Samantha's conundrum was a difficult one to face, and I liked the fact that the book was posing some moral questions and forcing her to think about what she believed in, but I also felt like it didn't exactly fit with the rest of the story that had come before.

Also, what an awful example some of the adults in this story set. I mean, just terrible. *shakes head*



 

3 comments:

  1. I also just liked this one. I thought the romance part was really well done and I loved Jace's family but the overall conflict in the second half felt weak to me. I really liked the companion novel "The Boy Most Likely To" which had a better balance of conflict and romance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, that's good to hear! I've been a bit wary of trying another of hers since I was kinda lukewarm about this one.

      Delete
  2. I loved this one, but can understand why some readers just liked it, or thought it was just okay. Everything is enjoyed subjectively, anyway. Still, glad that you liked the dynamics of the families! I still haven't read another by the author but I really want to.

    Cass @ Words on Paper

    ReplyDelete

I love comments, so post away!

Related Posts with Thumbnails